Dorset & Wilts RFU Press Officer.
5 Hanover Road
Mob. 07774 485186
Jason Leonard RFU Under 20 County Championship Dorset and Wilts v Cornwall Match Preview.
There has been a late change of venue for this championship clash on Sunday.
The match was originally planned to take place at Dorchester, but due to a sponsored walk taking place at Coburg Road the venue is now at Weymouth and Portland’s Monmouth Avenue ground kicking off at 1.00pm.
The Seasider’s president Des Quick said: “It’s not often that we get the chance to host a county game and we are very proud to have the opportunity to do so”.
“Cornwall always travel with their core support so I would hope that we can get a big crowd of supporters out to get behind the Dorset and Wilts lads that are the cream of Twin Counties youngsters and that they can cheer them on to their first championship victory this season”.
The Dorset and Wilts youngsters have played two pool matches this season against Hampshire and Gloucestershire losing both games narrowly, but they were runners up in the junior championship last season and this is their first campaign in the senior division and they are improving with each outing.
Manager Richard Rees said: We are very excited to be playing at Weymouth and Portland RFC for the first time in a national championship game. We have had a tough season this year narrowly losing both of our games against tough opposition. After the success of last season we were promoted to Division 1 of the Jason Leonard National Championship. We have learnt many lessons this campaign, mainly needing to be ruthless when with the ball and finishing off the chances that we create. There is still a lot to play for on Sunday for us, we want to show everyone our full potential and put in our best performance, we have had some injuries in key positions which for the players there are still South West positions up for grabs. We know that Cornwall are top of the table and playing really well, we will use to motivate ourselves knowing when we play to our potential we can beat anyone! Lead Coach Ali Lund will be hoping for a top performance to finish the season on a high, He will also be looking at senior players like skipper James Hill, Vice Captain James Bagguley and Centre Harry Bazalgette to lead from the front and put in huge performances. We strongly encourage anyone free to come and support Dorset and Wilts at our first and only home game of the campaign’.
The Dorset & Wilts Squad is
- Serge Griffiths – Salisbury RFC
- Jordan Rye – Cleve RFC
- Tom Cordery – Bournemouth RFC
- Hamish Janes – Southampton University
- Rory Horsington – Swindon RFC
- James Hill (Captain) – Salisbury RFC
- Jared Cardew – Salisbury RFC
- Zac Smith – Loughborough University
- James Clancy – Hartpury College
- James Bagguley (Vice Ccaptain) – Salisbury RFC
- Noah Cannon – Portsmouth University
- Harry Bazalgette – Exeter University
- Harvey Schorah – Devizes RFC
- Reman Gurung – Salisbury RFC
- Fin Dewar – Royal Wootton Bassett RFC
- Billy Maidment – Bournemouth RFC
- Antoine Pilcher – Bournemouth RFC
- Conrad Carkeet – Bournemouth RFC
- Harrison Colton – Bournemouth RFC
- Jonny Dowell – Swansea University
- Alex Peel – Dorchester RFC
- Matt Strong – Devizes RFC